Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Resources, Enterprise and Economic Development (Deputy Leader)
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Cllr Swift confirmed he had seen the report prior to today’s meeting and that it was noted there had been no material change. His decision was to agree the recommendations outlined in the report as detailed below:
To approve the use of New Burden funding for temporary staffing being:
- Two temporary full-time Local Taxation Officer posts for eighteen months are taken on to provide additional resource into the team due to increase in workload and work backlog position.
- One temporary full-time Customer Service Advisor post for six months is taken on to trial new working arrangement to assist with Local Taxation telephone calls.
· To provide support for necessary assurance work in relation to the Covid Business Grant schemes in line with Government requirements and associated review of business rates records as a result.
· To help us meet the corporate objective of providing an excellent public service.
· Will provide support within the Local Taxation team to tackle the work backlog, improving customer service and helping to reduce the number of complaints received.
· New Burden funding has been provided by the Government as a result of the work required to administrate the Covid Business grant schemes. The majority of the work undertaken has been from within existing resources and redeployment. The proposed use of this funding will invest back into the teams with a view to support additional work and improve performance for the benefit of our customers.
· To continue without additional resources will not allow for the additional work required for business grant assurance work to be carried out effectively in line with Government guidance and would likely lead to an increased work backlog situation and delays in response times for customers.
· To put in place new working arrangements without additional resources into the Customer Service Team would mean the trial would be unlikely to succeed in making the service better without a detrimental effect on other service provision.
Publication date: 08/09/2021
Date of decision: 08/09/2021